Monday 24 March 2014

From Nutella to Natur-ella!




If you want to watch video on how to make this - click here:  


You might be able to relate with this scenario: Somewhere between the ages of 6 and 16 or so, you are walking down the grocery isle with your mom and suddenly you spot it on the shelf – it is unmistakable, glowing and so captivating, you swear it is radiating an aura: NUTELLA.

It is beautiful, chocolaty and exotically European-like. It’s practically screaming: “Buy Me! Buy Me!” So I cross my fingers and hope this might be the day. In my sweetest, how-could-you-say-no-to-me voice, I would ask: “Mom, can we get this?”

My mom, however, is a sensible woman; her priorities were budget, health and not giving into everything we asked for. The answer was usually a friendly but ever disappointing “no”.





Eventually I saw what my mom saw and even after I left home, Nutella barely made it into my cupboard. Like so many other foods that line the store shelves, it’s just not healthy. Sugar and palm oil are at the top of the ingredient list (even before hazelnuts) and it contains soy as well as artificial flavoring.

I recently realized: there must be a healthy and nutritious way to replicate this. And there is!

Why it took me until now to put this together, I will never know. But I shall make up for lost time by eating this every single day. For the rest of my life. My inner child is thrilled.


NATUR-ELLA


1 cup raw hazelnuts
1 tbsp. coconut oil
¼ tsp. sea salt
1 small or ½ large size avocado
2 tbsp. cocoa powder
1 tbsp. vanilla extract
3 tbsp. maple syrup
¼ cup almond milk

Roast the hazelnuts at 400F for 5-7 minutes. Once they have cooled, rub them in a dishcloth to peel off as much of the skins as you can. Put the hazelnuts in your food processor with the coconut oil and blend for a few minutes. It should eventually turn into a buttery consistency. If not, add a little more coconut oil. Then add the rest of the ingredients and blend together. Spread it onto your favorite healthy toast and enjoy!! 





xoSusanne



No comments:

Post a Comment