Tuesday 18 February 2014

Mini Raw Key Lime Pie



When faced with the dilema of choosing a piece from a selection of pies or a flavour of ice cream (a serious decision) Key Lime is not my go to, I have to be honest. I scan right past it and google-eye the pies that make my mouth water - the rich, decadent type of pies that contain chocolate, peanut butter, chocolate, banana or chocolate! 

But I've got a few friends who LOVE sour-y type things. They are the ones who go for Lemon Sorbet, and sour keys over chocolate-y temptations. I don't quite get it, but I can appreciate their love for it. 

This idea came from having one too many overripe avocados, a lime that also needed to be used and a bit of time to create something. I started with a lime pudding. Wowzas, it was so delicious. But I didn't  stop there... 

How pretty, I thought, would this look in a pie? 

Really pretty, I found out. 

I would definitely make this again. It's healthy, raw, and refreshing. Yes - refreshing. That spark of lime seemed to lift me into a higher plane. It was fresh, light and a hint of summery. Doesn't quite make sense, but you get what I'm sayin. For a moment, I better understood my sour loving friends. 

The best part is that you can only feel good after eating this. The ingredients came directly from mother nature with very little processing done to them. Yay for you! Yay for me! Yay for Mother Nature! Everybody wins!






Okay, this is the recipe:

Mini Raw Key Lime Pie

Base 
  • 3/4 cup nuts (I used walnuts)
  • 1 tsp cinnamon
  • 3/4 cup dates (or raisins could work)

Use your food processor to blend these together. It may need a tiny bit of water if it looks too dry. Press this into a small bowl with a flat bottom and put in fridge for a couple of hours. 

Pudding/Filling
  • 1 large or 2 small avocadoes
  • Juice from 1 lime
  • 1/8 cup coconut milk
  • 3-4 tbsp maple syrup or other sweetener. 

Mix all this together in a blender. Taste it and see if you need to adjust anything. Mine was very pudding-like which made for a sloppy (but so tasty) pie filling. You could probably add some coconut flour to thicken the pudding. I'll try this next time and let you know how it goes, ya? 

xoSus













1 comment:

  1. Would this make a good Cake Frosting? Bo has such limited dietary options for a cake and I have found a Zucchini cake recipe that is good and just need a frosting idea for his 1st birthday cake smash - thoughts? Thanks

    ReplyDelete